Sunday, April 1, 2007

No Juice Left!

48 Hours is over...I can sleep finally...But I probably won't.

In the past week I've become re-acquainted and re-enamored with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after seeing the movie and it's going to own a good chunk of my disposable income from here on out. College is bad for both my wallet and rekindling my fondness for my childhood.

More importantly, while working on the 48 Hour Project this weekend, for some reason I decided that I missed making mixtapes. Now, typically the point of a mixtape is a means of both 1) turning a person on to new, good music (i.e., the shit you like) and 2) letting a person of the opposite sex know that you liked them enough to hopefully brainwash them into listening to the same crap you do so you wouldn't have to spend chunks of time listening to Nickelback, the Pet Shop Boys, Bananarama or whatever the hell the person you liked was listening to at the time. Now, I've made several mixtapes for members of the opposite sex since high school (only one of those, I recall followed both criteria of a mixtape's purpose, all the others were just because I didn't like having friends who thought the greatest bands in the world were the Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Godsmack).

The problem with doing mixtapes nowadays is that, well...with compact discs and MP3s, nobody really listens to audio cassettes anymore. The last mixtape I made for a girl ended up being a huge waste of my time because the girl didn't own a cassette player so the joke was on me. I also preferred mixtapes because it's more personal than ripping a CD because you actually have to cut the tape in real time and put forth an effort. Unfortunately, I don't have a cassette deck anymore, so it'll probably be some time before I start cutting mixtapes again. But I still love the idea of turning people onto new music and I'd love to get a chance to do it again.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Remember that time when you made me a mixtape but I only had an 8-track so I couldn't listen to it?

Corey Whompus said...

remember that time you made me a mixtape but the only had a marching band so i couldn't listen to it?