Friday, January 12, 2007

Nerf Wars Episode One-The Shotgun Menace

So, my refund check finally went through the other day (yay!) and I got the money ('cuz credit's no good when the Jawas run the shop in your neighborhood).

On the school front I am in the following courses-

(GEOL 104-Earth Environments) This class seems like it will be pretty easy, although we haven't had a lab meeting yet. My lab section is on Monday and since next Monday is MLK Day it means I won't have my first lab for another week and a half...Woot...I think.

(THFM 262-History of Film) I rearranged my schedule a bit, and now I have the later course meeting so I don't have to get up at 8 on Thursday now. I really like Lupro and Hall (the professors), and they seem pretty into the material. Here's a few examples of why Stefan Hall kicks ass-1) He spent the last week of break playing the hell out of Resident Evil 4 and loving every terrifying, beautiful second of it. 2) He showed us Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' Running Down A Dream video as well as the Smashing Pumpkins' Tonight, Tonight video. While I'm not a huge SP fan, I've always liked this song and the video for it even more so (we watched these as examples of animation for TP&TH and the SP video is an homage to Molies' Trip To The Moon).

(POPC 260-Popular Culture Research) This class is basically working on a huge research project of my choosing for the entire semester...I'm leaning towards doing something on Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead series about how the horror/zombie genre serves as social commentary. Any thoughts/suggestions on other stuff?

(POPC 350-Crime & Deviance In Film) I have this course with Professor Shoemaker (who taught one of my all-time favorite courses, Sci-Fi/Horror Film). We're watching some pretty cool stuff in the class and we get to do a research paper on a crime film of our choosing (I'm leaning towards Sin City, Snatch or Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels although those could change). Plus, he remembered my name. This is huge because I guess he typically doesn't remember a lot of people easily...He even remembered the exclamation point...That pretty much made my night.

(POPC 470-Comics & Culture) I have Coletta for this course, another of my favorite instructors. The material covered includes Peanuts, Dick Tracy, Batman: The Killing Joke, Superman: Birthright, Sin City:The Hard Goodbye, Blankets, Harvey Pekar's Quitter, Will Eisner's The Spirit and more. We get to do two research papers, one on a comic strip (I'm leaning towards Penny Arcade or The Boondocks) and a comic book (Invincible, The Walking Dead and Marvel's Civil War series are all strong possibilities). The only downside to this class? There's about seven or eight geeks (geekier than me) who like to spout out useless trivia thinking it will impress the instructor. Hey, guess what? I'm pretty sure the secret identity of the Scarlet Spider has nothing whatsoever to do with Charles Schulz.

In other news-I bought a couple of NERF guns the other day, and last night me and Chris' band practice turned into an all-out NERF battle. Are we eight years old? Yes. Fuckin' deal with it, son. I want more so I can run around like a little kid and shoot people with foam darts all the time.

I finished Experimental Film last week. Once I receive a little more feedback, I'm gonna revise it one time and hopefully start pre-pro next week.

That's it for now. Laters.

1 comment:

_Theresa said...

I wish I had hall for history of film. He always seemed so much more fun.

As for the NERF guns just don't get arrested. I'm pretty sure NERF is producting WMD's this year.