Sunday, October 14, 2007

Were Those Zombies That I Saw Over At The Shopping Mall?

Okay, two-fold entry. First the continuation of the Horror Movie-A-Day-A-Thon Keeps The Doctor Away-A-Thon.

Monday, October 8th
-Tremors II:Aftershocks (1996) Written by Brent Maddock & S.S. Wilson, Directed by S.S. Wilson

Stars Fred Ward, Christopher Gartin, Michael Gross and Helen Shaver

Earl Bassett, survivor of the previous Tremors film, is contracted by the Mexican government to kill subterranean worms that have been killing off the workers on one of their oil fields. The job's easy enough, until, as the tagline states, the worms turn!

Now, for some reason I can never remember anything about the first Tremors except that Kevin Bacon was in it. The sequel has always stuck out in my mind for some unexplainable reason, and I know that I've enjoyed it ever since the first time I saw it when I was about sixteen years old. That's saying a lot, particularly considering the sequel was direct-to-video, which usually is code for "This movie sucks. No, seriously. You'll kill yourself if you watch this." With that in mind, Aftershocks is a pretty entertaining hour and a half. It's certainly not reinventing the wheel as far as horror/comedy goes, but I really enjoy the characters (particularly a crotchety Fred Ward as the lead and Michael Gross as a paranoid survivalist nut) and the movie's just long enough so that it doesn't get stagnant or boring. FINAL GRADE: B-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to change gears. I'll keep this part short and sweet. But ladies, try to contain yourselves and dry your eyes because Dustin Meadows!=No longer on the market. More details next time!

No comments: